Sunday, October 9, 2011

Sourdough victory

Two posts ago, I wrote about having made sourdough starter. Well, this morning, I made my very first sourdough product from the starter: pancakes. They were fluffy and tasty. Not as tangy as I like, but it's a very young starter and as it matures I'm confident it will lend a lively tang to pancakes, waffles, rolls, and bread loaves.

It's fun to work with sourdough. To make this morning's pancake batter, I mixed flour, buttermilk, and the starter and let it sit for 45 minutes. What resulted was basically a thin sponge. To that I added some eggs whisked with milk and oil. Then I added a mixture of sugar, baking soda, and salt, and the action began. After five minutes, the batter was actively bubbling with happy sourdough beasties! The recipe made six pancakes each for three happy breakfasters. Then I warmed a half cup of milk and added it, along with a half cup of flour, to the remaining starter. I mixed it well and set it on top of the refrigerator, then went off to run errands. When I returned several hours later, the starter was bubbling merrily away. It's back in the refrigerator waiting for next week's baking adventure.

No comments: